Esperance Tennis Club WA

Facebook Like Logo

How Esperance Tennis Club began...

protour court

With the development of the town of Esperance in 1896, many sporting clubs were set up. The earliest archive preserved is a decorative souvenir scorecard of a tennis match between: The "Stragglers" and "The Rouseabouts", played on 3 June, 1907. The Stragglers won by 8 sets (70 games) to 7 sets (58 games). Names of those included Daw, Sinclair, Hannett, Alliss, Freeman, Synnot, Stow, Gibson, Norman, Walsh, Capell and Peel.

The Original Esplanade Courts

The original tennis courts were set up on land parallel with the Esplanade, between what is now the Hospitality Inn and the RSL War Memorial.

The Esplanade courts remained in use throughout the 40's, 50's and 60's, until the move to the present site in the early 1970's. Additional courts were gradually added to the original three.The club now has thirteen plexi-pave hard courts.

You can find details of past champions, committees, and life members are displayed in the Club House.

ETC meets social, competitive and junior tennis needs...

The Esperance club offers a wide range of playing opportunities and the 13 courts at the club facilitate maximum participation. We welcome new members of all standards and ages, and we provide opportunities for competitive, junior and social tennis.

The Esperance Tennis Club has run an Esperance March tournament for over 20 years over the March Labour Day weekend. Over the past 5 or 6 years Australian Ranking points events have been included for the Juniors and Seniors. In 2009, record entries for this event of 206.

International Protour Hosts

In 2009, Esperance Tennis Club procured the International Protour event, and is hosting the Protour event for the third time this year.

In 2009, the ETC was a finalist in the very prestigious Tennis Australia annual award in the category "Best Tournament of the Year".

For details of this the 2011 Cliffs Esperance Tennis International visit our Protour Website.